21 January 2008

I wonder why most sales people here treat you like crap?

The other day I was shopping for Christmas lights at a fancy supermarket chain in Jakarta. I wanted some plain white lights and found a box of the kind that I was looking for.

At the cashiers, this lady rung me up and while she rung me up, one of the supermarket staff offered to check the lights. So while he was checking the lights for me the, cashiers girl had already swiped my card. Then it turns out they weren't even the lights I wanted. The lights were star-shaped, not at all the plain ones they had pictured on the box. So I went back to the lights section and found another box and I opened to check and see if they were the plain ones. Luckily they were and so I rushed back to the cashiers.

Then I asked the staff if I could exchange it. And as soon as I mentioned the word "exchange" all the staff gave me the dirtiest look, especially the cashier girl who had rung me up. It was as if my request was something unheard of. It's just a major no no!! Disastrous!! Catastrophic!! I thought to myself, good God, what's so difficult about exchanging an item. I guess it was such an inconvenience for them. And the cashier made it a point and showed me how annoyed she was in doing the whole transaction. So I apologized and apologized again. But note, there wasn't a single apology from them for the box that I took with the star-shaped lights or for swiping my card even before they checked the lights? Yet still, no smile, no "don't worry miss, we'll sort it out", nothing. Well bloody hell woman!!! Aren't you the one who rung me up and swiped my card whilst the other staff was still checking the lights? What happens if all the lights are dead, and that was the last box of lights? Shouldn't you have waited until the guy checked my lights to see if they're working or not before doing that?

Whatever happens to the saying "customer is king?" I guess such thing doesn't exist here. Sales staff would rather "ha ha he he "with themselves and if you are desperately looking for something and ask for their assistance while they're chatting with each other…. Oh… don't even try. That's like committing a sin.

Perhaps it's a good idea for you sales people out there to start treating your customers like king. After all, we might be less inclined to come back and visit your store again, ever. Just think about that. - Gwen Winarno

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dearest gwen...
menyebalkan memang mendapat perlakuan seperti itu,terlebih lagi dalam hal ini kita membeli sesuatu dan membayarnya, bukan mencuri! Darimana toko memperoleh keuntungan kalau bukan dari pembeli? Dan darimana si sales person mendapat gaji,kalau tokonya sepi karena tidak ada yg membeli...